Behavoral Treatment of Hand Eczema
- Where possible, avoid or minimize wet-work,
- Avoid excessive sweating and dry conditions which are sometimes triggers
- Avoid scratching which worsens the condition and may cause cracks allowing bacteria to enter leading to infection. Sometimes applying cold compress to area reduces itch. Keep fingernails short.
- Avoid the substance(s) causing the irritation or allergy. Avoiding all substances can be very difficult-if not impossible-especially if these substances are encountered at work. Using barrier cream, wearing gloves, and practicing glove hygiene is often helpful.
- Avoid harsh or scented soaps. Soapless cleansers may be best to use such as cetaphil, spectro jel, spectro derm, lipikar syndet
- Minimize contact with fruit juices, fruits, vegetables, raw meat while preparing food
- Protect hands by using cotton gloves as liner under vinyl gloves
- Shampoo hair while wearing vinyl gloves, if possible
- Take off rings before wet-work or hand washing
- Use emollients frequently to help restore normal skin barrier function. A thin smear of a thick barrier cream should be applied to all affected areas before work, and reapplied after washing and whenever the skin dries out
- Some moisturizers without allergens include: Vasoline, Cliniderm moisturizer
- Stress management-stress triggers flare-ups in many people so reducing stress may be beneficial.